[PyQt] Inter-office distribution/installation of packages/modules

Mike Ramirez gufymike at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 19:20:49 BST 2011

On Thursday 16 June 2011 10:13:10 James Polk wrote:
> Apologies if this is too off-topic,....but I'd like to propose a discussion
> of how-to's and where-fore's regarding distributing python modules to a
> user-base.
>
> Recently, I've been using Mark Hammond's excellent pywin32 packages,
> along with NumPy and PyOpenGL,etc.  I have a user-base of approx 40 or so,
> who will need these packages added to their base Python install.
>
> Rather than visit 40 separate desktops, I used "pip"  (pip freeze) to get a
> short list of packages outside the base install, and wrote an app that each
> user can run to find what's missing, and initiate the appropriate
> install,etc. Then I realized that "pip" itself was a 3rd party
> package!..DOh!
>
> I can fall back and use "help('modules')" to generate a new list, but it
> lists *everything* in the install,...usable but not as succinct, for
> pywin32 for example, it lists about a dozen things with a form of "win32"
> in them,...and doesn't appear to return the real package name that is
> associated with the binary installation file.
>
> Surely these issues are fairly common phenomena in many workplaces,etc...
> I'm wondering if anybody out there has any knowledge, tips, or experiences
> regarding this issue that they can share.
>
> I've found "moduleFinder", and various ideas about searching "sys.path",
> pkgutils, but nothing else that seems like a long term viable and/or elegant
> solution.
>
> Thoughts anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jim

Have your tried easy_install ?  similar to pip, but is part of the
setuputils/distribute packaging system.  But I would second: use py2exe you
can bundle a copy of everything into a single bin for the users.

"py2exe is a Python Distutils extension which converts Python scripts into
executable Windows programs, able to run without requiring a Python
installation." -- http://py2exe.org

Mike