[PyQt] D-Bus support for Windows

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Wed Dec 28 11:39:58 GMT 2011

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:30:11 +0100, Lukas Hetzenecker
<lukas.hetzenecker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Phil and all interested community members,
>
> I'd like to ask you if you have any plans to add support for Windows
> to your D-Bus mainloop implementation.
>
> Some time ago there was a discussion on the dbus mailing list:
> http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/2mxmYng5gCA0MCJamGh9
>
> The D-Bus server was already ported to Windows and is used
> successfully by some applications (e.g. the KDE project).
> The only thing that's missing now is any python support (glib also
> isn't ported yet). I tried to copy the dbus/ directory from
> the Linux source code to the source for Windows and it compiled,
> although i couldn't get it to work (more information about
> that is in the thread mentioned above).
>
> Is there any chance that we could get this great IPC framework
> supported on all major operating systems?

If you can build and run C++ Qt DBus applications under Windows then the
new QtDBus module in PyQt v4.9 should work (if you are using Qt v4.7 or
later). You will need to change configure.py so that it tries to build
QtDBus under Windows - the change needed is obvious if you search for
"QtDBus".