[PyQt] PyQt 4.7.3 on Gumstix - Installation failed

Mohamad Najib fixed-term.mohamadnjib.muhammadnoor at de.bosch.com
Mon May 17 09:00:04 BST 2010

David Boddie wrote:

>> > Can you say how you configured each Qt library and how you configured
>> > PyQt?
>> > (Which options did you pass to the configure scripts?)
>>
>> For Qt ("-embedded arm" is the additional configuration flag that I put
>> make the QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm)
>>
>> -lrt -opensource -release (-embedded arm) -little-endian -no-svg
>> -no-openssl -no-webkit -no-javascript-jit -no-xinerama -no-openvg -nomake
>> examples -nomake demos -no-largefile -no-qt3support
>
> I think this should be OK, but it might also be a good idea to pass the
> -xplatform option as well, as mentioned here:
>
>   http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.6/qt-embedded-crosscompiling.html

That's something I overlooked, but since I compile it directly on the
Gumstix instead of on a development machine, I think it would be ok, right?

> Anyway, ignoring that problem, your original problem is that you're
> building
> PyQt against an embedded version of Qt, and PyQt is designed to work with
> the
> X11 version of Qt. This is why you got the error:
>
>   sipQtGuicmodule.cpp:10698: error: 'XEvent' has not been declared
>
> PyQt won't build against an embedded version of Qt, so you need to patch
> it.
> I produced a set of patches for PyQt 4.6 (using Qt 4.5), but these may not
> be new enough to work with what you are doing:
>
>   http://bitbucket.org/dboddie/pyqt4-for-embedded-linux

I have taken a look at your patches, and found it interesting. But currently
I am in the process of rebuilding the Qt library and force it to get the X11
libraries and headers (changing a bit in mkspecs), and see how it goes. I do
believe my problem stems from gcc/g++ is linked to the compiler in Gumstix,
which is linux-arm-angstrom-gnuebi-gcc/g++ (sp?), which in turn (I think)
made Qt to look to qws/linux-arm-g++ mkspec, instead of the normal
linux-g++. I might be mistaken though, since that is 2 weeks ago, and the
other problems kinda sweeped that particular memory away from my brain.

Many thanks again for the help.