[PyQt] Overpainting example does not work

Mads Ipsen madsipsen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 08:50:53 BST 2010

1. The output from glxinfo yields:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
    GLX_EXT_swap_control, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
GLX_ARB_create_context,
    GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, GLX_ARB_multisample,
GLX_NV_float_buffer,
    GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB

2. In fact I can make the example work by adding the lines

  glShadeModel(GL_FLAT)
  glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE)
  glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST)
  glDisable(GL_LIGHTING)

just after the line

  glCallList(self.object)

in the method paintEvent().

3. BTW - Isn't the second call to painter.fillRect() in
drawInstructions() method redundant?

        painter.setRenderHint(QtGui.QPainter.TextAntialiasing)
        painter.fillRect(QtCore.QRect(0, 0, self.width(), rect.height()
+ 2*border), QtGui.QColor(0, 0, 0, 127))
        painter.setPen(QtCore.Qt.white)
        painter.fillRect(QtCore.QRect(0, 0, self.width(), rect.height()
+ 2*border), QtGui.QColor(0, 0, 0, 127))

Best regards,

Mads

David Boddie wrote:
> On Mon Apr 19 20:55:32 BST 2010, Mads Ipsen wrote:
>

>> The overpainting example does not work on my computer - no bubbles nor
>> text is painted on top of the OpenGL scene. Anybody that can confirm this?
>>

> Can you give some details about your system? In particular, it would be
> interesting to know what kind of graphics card you have and what sort of
> driver support it has for OpenGL. It may be that one of the OpenGL extensions
> is required for this example to work - it's a long time since I've looked at
> OpenGL.
>
> Doing a simple test on my old laptop with Qt 4.3.2, PyQt 4.3 and OpenGL 1.3
> shows that it still works for me. According to glxinfo, my system has a
> number of extensions as well:

>   OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 845G 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2
>   OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.0.1
>   OpenGL extensions:
>       GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture,
>
> Maybe multisampling is required for this example. Can you check to see if
> you have problems with any of the other PyQt OpenGL examples, and take a look
> at the PyOpenGL examples to see if any of those fail to work as expected?
>
> David

| Mads Ipsen, Scientific developer                             |
| QuantumWise A/S               | phone:          +45-29716388 |
| Nørre Søgade 27A              | www:     www.quantumwise.com |
| DK-1370 Copenhagen K, Denmark | email:  mads.ipsen at gmail.com |