[PyQt] Overpainting example does not work

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Mon Apr 19 23:11:47 BST 2010

On Mon Apr 19 20:55:32 BST 2010, Mads Ipsen wrote:

> The overpainting example does not work on my computer - no bubbles nor
> text is painted on top of the OpenGL scene. Anybody that can confirm this?

Can you give some details about your system? In particular, it would be
interesting to know what kind of graphics card you have and what sort of
driver support it has for OpenGL. It may be that one of the OpenGL extensions
is required for this example to work - it's a long time since I've looked at
OpenGL.

Doing a simple test on my old laptop with Qt 4.3.2, PyQt 4.3 and OpenGL 1.3
shows that it still works for me. According to glxinfo, my system has a
number of extensions as well:

  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 845G 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2
  OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.0.1
  OpenGL extensions:
      GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture,

Maybe multisampling is required for this example. Can you check to see if
you have problems with any of the other PyQt OpenGL examples, and take a look
at the PyOpenGL examples to see if any of those fail to work as expected?

David