[PyQt] Deploying from Linux to Windows

Doug Hackworth doug.hackworth at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Jan 16 22:16:08 GMT 2009

Update:  I tried the same procedure (install Python, install PyQt4) on a fresh
Windows XP machine that doesn't have Cygwin+Python and any complications that
may cause, and things work as expected.

I did add Lib/site-packages to a system PYTHONPATH environment variable just to
be on the safe side, but otherwise didn't have to do anything weird.  I guess I
was just "lucky" in choosing for my first test machine one that had the Cygwin
strangeness (a.k.a. Pernicious Python Path Problems!).  I tried this machine
again, too, after uninstalling the Python package in Cygwin, and now things work
there, too -- so it was indeed the path confusion caused by Cygwin's Python.
Strange, I wouldn't have expected that.

So to summarize, the correct procedure is:

1.  Install Python 2.6
2.  Install PyQt4 for Python 2.6
3.  [optional?] Create PYTHONPATH environment variable and add
$PYTHON_INSTALL_DIR/Lib/site-packages to it.

Thanks to all who responded!

-- Doug