[PyQt] Tools for compiling sip/PyQt on MacOS

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Feb 18 16:35:04 GMT 2009

On Feb 18, 2009, at 10:14 AM, Frédéric wrote:

> On mercredi 18 février 2009, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> configure and compile on OSX works just like on other OSs.
>
> Sure, but the problem is to install the development tools. Ths user
> who is
> trying to compile reported the following error:
>
>    -bash: make: command not found
>
> :o/

ah, my brain skipped over the 'install tools to' part.

1. Install Xcode.

Every new Mac should include an Xcode install disk.  But this is
probably out of date. Really, you should go to developer.apple.com,
Mac Dev Center and download a current version of Xcode.  You need to
register for a free ADC membership.  Download is nearly 1GB!

2. Download and install Qt frameworks for OSX.

>> For the python.org Python package, on Tiger or Leopard, you just need
>> to configure the site-packages and SDK, and let the rest default to
>> folders in the python framework.
>>
>> Once you get SIP installed, PyQt configure just needs to know the
>> site-
>> packages, and on Leopard the bin path (to find SIP).
>
> Could you provide me the options users should use? As I said, I
> don't have
> any MacOS system, and users does not know anything about
> compilation. So I
> have to guide them step by step :o/
>
> Thanks for your help,

For Leopard (using the system Python 2.5):

sip:

export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5
python configure.py -n -d /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages \
-b /usr/local/bin -e /usr/local/include -v /usr/local/share/sip \
-s MacOSX10.5.sdk
make
sudo make install

pyqt:

export QTDIR=/Developer/Applications/Qt
python configure.py -d /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages \
-b /usr/local/bin
make
sudo make install

For Tiger and Leopard (using the python.org Python 2.5):

download and install Python 2.5

sip:

export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4
python configure.py -n \
-d /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/
site-packages \
-s MacOSX10.4u.sdk
make
sudo make install

pyqt:

export QTDIR=/Developer/Applications/Qt
python configure.py \
-d /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/
site-packages
make
sudo make install

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of
the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the
____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war