[PyQt] LGPL license.

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Tue Feb 10 23:13:51 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 14:41:02 pm Knapp wrote:
> > Oh, btw what implications it has for your application/development
> > to use Qt or PyQt licensed under GPL or LGPL or commercial is
> > something you should discuss with a lawyer.
> >
> > Andreas
>
> Yes, all is clear now, thanks.
>
> This bit about the lawyer always strikes me as funny. I am looking at
> releasing a product that will be sold in the USA, Canada, England,
> Australia and many other English speaking places. It will also be
> sold in other countries as the translators get things done, perhaps
> Germany first. The product is expected to cost 20 to 50 USD and sell
> a few thousand units per county, if it goes well. So how much does
> this lawyer that knows all about these licenses and there effects in
> all those counties cost? Where do you find him?

Considering you're going to generate huge profits from this product, it
wouldn't hurt to ask the author of a fundamental component of the
product how much a commercial license would cost and pay for it, and
then you wouldn't have to worry about GPL, LGPL or any of that stuff.

I've never minded people using my software for free - even commercially.
I just hate it when they whine about software being free, but not on
terms where they can profit enormously from other people's work. It's
the whining, not the profiting, that I object to.

Jim