[PyQt] LGPL license.

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Feb 10 21:46:47 GMT 2009

On 10.02.09 22:10:05, Knapp wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On 10.02.09 19:56:44, Knapp wrote:
> >> I see that the newer QT4.5 has the LGPL license. Does this mean that
> >> pyQT will also have this license? Does using this license mean that
> >> you can use the lib and write a closed source app without having to
> >> pay for a license?
> >
> > Please read the archive, this has already come up once or twice this
> > year.
>
> Thanks for that important point about the archives. I did read it! It
> is as clear as mud.
> QT is LGPL
> KDE is LGPL

kdelibs is lgpl, other parts of KDE may use other licenses (such as GPL,
BSD etc)

> pyKDE is ??? LGPL???

Dunno, check the projects website (if there is one) or the source code.

> pyQT is not??

Thats the current state, it is however dual-licensed just as Qt was
before QtSoftware added the LGPL license for Qt4.5.

> and never will be but maybe someone named Phil is still thinking about
> it?

If you check out the PyQt website you'll notice that Phil is the author
of PyQt, so yes he's the one to decide what will happen to PyQt's
licensing (if anything happens at all).

> That is the best I can tell by all that but really someone could just
> be straight and answer my question.

Well, apparently you already did understand everything that one needs to
understand. PyQt might or might not be licensed under LGPL in a future
version, depending on the decision of its author.

Crystal clear now? No? What exactly is unclear?

Oh, btw what implications it has for your application/development to use
Qt or PyQt licensed under GPL or LGPL or commercial is something you
should discuss with a lawyer.

Andreas

--
You are fighting for survival in your own sweet and gentle way.