[PyQt] Re: LGPL license.

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 21:30:24 GMT 2009

On 2009-02-10 15:10, Knapp wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Andreas Pakulat<apaku at gmx.de>  wrote:
>> On 10.02.09 19:56:44, Knapp wrote:
>>> I see that the newer QT4.5 has the LGPL license. Does this mean that
>>> pyQT will also have this license? Does using this license mean that
>>> you can use the lib and write a closed source app without having to
>>> pay for a license?
>> Please read the archive, this has already come up once or twice this
>> year.
>>
>> Andreas
>
> Thanks for that important point about the archives. I did read it! It
> is as clear as mud.
> QT is LGPL

Not until 4.5 is released.

> KDE is LGPL
> pyKDE is ??? LGPL???

No, PyKDE is GPL.

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/pykde

> pyQT is not?? and never will be but maybe someone named Phil is still
> thinking about it?

PyQT is currently still licensed under the either the commercial or GPL options.
The author (that would be Phil) learned about QT's switch to LGPL the same time
when we did, and he is still considering his options.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco