[PyQt] PyQt Licensing Issue

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 13:25:32 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 12:25:15 +0000, Phil Thompson
> <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 17:46:20 +0530 (IST), Prashant Saxena
>> <animator333 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am planning to release the beta version(Testing) of an application
>>> written using python+PyQt.
>>> I won't be including the source code with the installation. Do I have
>>> purchase the PyQt commercial license now itself or I can purchase
> before
>>> releasing the commercial version. It'll surely take 2-3 months before I
>>> reach to final version and releasing
>>> the commercial version is purely based on the users opinion and
> success.
>>
>> You need commercial licenses before you distribute your application to
> your
>> users for the first time - not when you release the final version.
>
> As for Qt, the commercial license explicitly forbids relicensing of
> existing GPL/LGPL code (even if you own the copyright). So basically Nokia
> requires that you buy a commercial license at the beginning of development,
> not at release time.

Right, see http://qt.nokia.com/products/licensing :

"You must purchase a Qt Commercial Developer License from us or from
one of our authorized resellers before you start developing commercial
software. The Qt Commercial Developer License does not allow the
incorporation of code developed with the Qt GNU LGPL v. 2.1 or GNU GPL
v. 3.0 license versions into a commercial product."

Darren