[PyQt] PyQt Licensing Issue

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Tue Dec 8 13:14:15 GMT 2009

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 12:25:15 +0000, Phil Thompson
<phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 17:46:20 +0530 (IST), Prashant Saxena
> <animator333 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am planning to release the beta version(Testing) of an application
>> written using python+PyQt.
>> I won't be including the source code with the installation. Do I have
>> purchase the PyQt commercial license now itself or I can purchase
before
>> releasing the commercial version. It'll surely take 2-3 months before I
>> reach to final version and releasing
>> the commercial version is purely based on the users opinion and
success.

> You need commercial licenses before you distribute your application to
your
> users for the first time - not when you release the final version.

As for Qt, the commercial license explicitly forbids relicensing of
existing GPL/LGPL code (even if you own the copyright). So basically Nokia
requires that you buy a commercial license at the beginning of development,
not at release time.
--
Giovanni Bajo
Develer S.r.l.