[PyQt] PyKDE4, KApplication and DBus

Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
Fri Oct 31 11:53:26 GMT 2008

* Wilbert Berendsen [Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:45:41 +0100]:

> Hi,

> I am writing a kde application in PyKDE4 that embeds katepart and okular. That
> works fine, but I also want to export my own DBus object to implement a
> simple general methods (like openUrl) for my app.

> Currently KApplication, KatePart etc. all register their objects under the
> bus-name "org.myapplication-$pid". where 'myapplication' is set from the
> homepage URL in the aboutData.

> But it seems I can't get my own object (created using dbus-python) under the
> same bus name.

> Is there  a way to add my own (dbus-python) object to the existing busname
> that is registered by KApplication?

AFAICS that's not going to be possible because the dbus-python bindings
forbid the '-' character in interface names:

  >>> import dbus
  >>> dbus.validate_interface_name('foo.bar.org-1')
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  ValueError: Invalid interface or error name 'foo.bar.org-1': contains invalid character '-'

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

Mankind are very odd creatures: one half censure what they practice, the
other half practice what they censure; the rest always say and do as
they ought.
                -- Michel de Montaigne