[PyQt] simpler 'connect' function

Aaron Digulla digulla at hepe.com
Thu Jan 17 21:04:45 GMT 2008

Peter Shinners schrieb:

>> Remember: If everyone in the world would develop software
>> the way you do, you'd be unemployed.
>
> I'm not sure how to interpret this. I hope to keep using Pyqt for a long
> time.

I'm trying to make you understand that your way of developing software
works for *you* but not for *me*. I'm a very fast developer but that
means I quickly get frustrated when I can't track down bugs fast.

I wrote a little app with around 8000 lines of code in the past two
weeks, say 40h all in all, in my spare time. Of that, I spent 4 hours
hunting a connect() bug and 8 hours because of the setModel() bug I
reported in another thread. With tiny, compatible changes in the API, I
could have used that time on real work and I'd have, say, 3000
additional lines of code instead of a weekend wasted.

So that means, usually, I can code a huge amount of functionality in a
very short time but for these two weak spots (connect and GC), I'm
losing a lot of time and I see that a lot of other beginners have the
same problem. In the past two weeks, many people have complained about
the connect API and most don't like the current string literals.

Therefore, I'm trying to argue to make some changes to make PyQt more
bullet proof for beginners. If I get the feeling that no one listens to
my arguments, then I'll do what I have to do to scratch my itch: I'll
fork the project.

Regards,

http://darkviews.blogspot.com/          http://www.pdark.de/