[PyQt] PyQt and 3D visualization

Pierre Raybaut contact at pythonxy.com
Wed Aug 6 10:44:51 BST 2008

2008/8/6 Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com>:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 11:11:52 +0200, "Pierre Raybaut" <contact at pythonxy.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> As I probably already mentioned, I'm very interested in PyQt for
>> scientific GUI programming, i.e. GUI embedding classic widgets as well
>> as 2D and 3D plots.
>> Matplotlib + PyQt can help programming rapidly this kind of GUI.
>>
>> However, when it comes to 3D visualization, it seems that Enthought is
>> a step ahead with TVTK which is using wxPython - adding the missing
>> pythonic interface to VTK *and* ready-to-use widgets for visualization
>> purpose with Trait.
>>
>> I saw on Enthought code website that a Qt backend is being developed
>> for Trait (and I think that you are involved in this project).
>> (Q1) There is not much information on this, so I'm not sure I
>> understand correctly: do you know if this means that, for example, one
>> could use TVTK with a Qt backend?
>
> TVTK works fine with PyQt, though you may need the SVN version of VTK to
> get the latest PyQt support.

(sorry I forgot to answer to the mailing list in my previous message)

Ok, that's great news, and this answers to my second question as well.
But, I'm curious: do you know why no publicity is made around this?
Because this means that one could use the Enthought Tool Suite without
having to install wxPython, which would be great from my point of view
(I'm tired of including multiple libraries which can do the same thing
in my Python distribution).
And BTW, do you know how to use (/install) the Trait Qt backend
instead of the default wx backend? (if not, do you know where could I
find some help on this?)

Thanks
Pierre