[PyQt] PyQt book "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt" now available

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Fri Oct 26 02:20:00 BST 2007

On Fri Oct 26 01:45:22 BST 2007, Jim Bublitz wrote:

> I think it makes sense to look around for the best price, but I guess I
> don't understand the complaining about the price.

Yes, I agree. I just wanted to show that there are good deals to be found
if you want (or need) to shop around. I found it quite amusing that one of
the best deals was from a bookseller in one of the world's most expensive
countries. :-)

> I've got a copy of Stroustrup's C++ Programming Language that cost me $65
> probably 5 years ago or more. I don't use it much, but the binding is
> falling apart, and it's not even a language I like. And considering what
> my daughter pays for college textbooks (actually what I pay for her books),
> Mark's book seems pretty reasonably priced - this isn't going to make the
> bestseller lists (no reflection on Mark - there just aren't that many PyQt
> users, although I've heard the plot is weak too),

But I bet you didn't expect that plot twist in the final chapter! ;-)

> or even sell as many copies as the average college text.

Maybe not. However, even as an "experienced" Python programmer, I found
the introduction to Python worth reading - and I was very sceptical about
the need to include it in the book at all. (Apparently, publishers believe
that books about Python need to tell the reader how to use the language
no matter what level they're aimed at!)

> Considering we get free software that actually works and free, fast online
> support from the author of the software and the author of the book and the
> lead tech writer at TrollTech plus the other really knowledgeable people on
> this list, it doesn't seem to me that the price is that bad when you take
> all that into account.

Actually, I'm billing you for the time taken to write this message. ;-)

Seriously, at over 550 pages, I think the book is well worth the retail
price. For a book aimed at GUI programming, it covers a wide range of
topics, and it deals with many of the fundamental concepts and techniques
you need to know when using PyQt4.

In addition, the appendix on installing PyQt looks like it addresses the
usual questions people have, and I expect it was quite distracting and
time-consuming to write.

Note: As a reviewer, I received a copy free of charge, but I would have
bought a copy anyway. I had to squeeze my reviewing duties in between work
and real life, so I didn't really have the time to enjoy the book the first
time around. :-)

David