[PyQt] Problems building PyQt snapshot on Win32 with MinGW -- all details included

Martin Blais blais at furius.ca
Thu Jul 12 00:05:38 BST 2007

On 7/11/07, Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com> wrote:
> On 11/07/2007 22.41, Martin Blais wrote:
>
> >  I ran the simplest configure command::
> >
> >    C:\tmp\PyQt-win-gpl-4-snapshot-20070710>C:/Python25/python.exe
> > configure.py
> >    Determining the layout of your Qt installation...
> >    Error: Make sure you have a working Qt v4 qmake on your PATH or use
> > the -q
> >    argument to explicitly specify a working Qt v4 qmake.
> >
> >  Oops, it seems I need to specify the location of qmake. Okie, so I
> >  add it to the cmdline::
> >
> >    C:\tmp\PyQt-win-gpl-4-snapshot-20070710>C:/Python25/python.exe
> > configure.py -q C:/Qt/4.3.0/qmake/qmake.exe -w
>
> No, this is a mistake, but it's not your fault. You must have Qt in your PATH.
> The -q option is totally broken under Windows, because it looks like it lets
> you pick a version of Qt which is not in the PATH, but it doesn't really work,
> because the executable built with it won't be executed because of the missing
> DLLs (not in the PATH).
[...]
> So, ignore the (wrong) suggestion of configure.py, and just add Qt's binary
> directory to the path.

Awesome, thanks, this works!

For the benefits of all the others like me dabbling for hours trying
to compile PyQt under Windows, I will document the procedure and paste
it on the wiki.  I'm sure that this act alone will save thousands
dollars in salary-hours around the world, and a lot of unnecessary
pain and friction.

The PyQt setup is actually super clean if only you get it started the
right way, but I can't help wonder why no-one ever bothered taking an
extra 20 mins to provide clear instructions-for-dummies on the Wiki
how to use all that beautiful work.  It must have been a lot more pain
to actually make this setup, why not make sure it gets used?  And if
it actually does get tested, why not provide a binary?

cheers, (my machine seems to be compiling happily...)