[PyQt] Problems building PyQt snapshot on Win32 with MinGW -- all details included

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Wed Jul 11 23:20:40 BST 2007

On 11/07/2007 22.41, Martin Blais wrote:

>  I ran the simplest configure command::
>
>    C:\tmp\PyQt-win-gpl-4-snapshot-20070710>C:/Python25/python.exe
> configure.py
>    Determining the layout of your Qt installation...
>    Error: Make sure you have a working Qt v4 qmake on your PATH or use
> the -q
>    argument to explicitly specify a working Qt v4 qmake.
>
>  Oops, it seems I need to specify the location of qmake. Okie, so I
>  add it to the cmdline::
>
>    C:\tmp\PyQt-win-gpl-4-snapshot-20070710>C:/Python25/python.exe
> configure.py -q C:/Qt/4.3.0/qmake/qmake.exe -w

No, this is a mistake, but it's not your fault. You must have Qt in your PATH.
The -q option is totally broken under Windows, because it looks like it lets
you pick a version of Qt which is not in the PATH, but it doesn't really work,
because the executable built with it won't be executed because of the missing
DLLs (not in the PATH).

It's not even useful if you have more than one Qt version in the PATH, because
again there's not -rpath or similar support under Windows, and executables
will still dynlink against the first version of Qt they find on the PATH.

In fact, the only situation where -q actually works under Windows is when Qt
is built as static libraries. Which is not how the binary GPL version ships.

So, ignore the (wrong) suggestion of configure.py, and just add Qt's binary
directory to the path.

Oh btw QTDIR doesn't exist anymore with Qt4, in case you were wondering.
--
Giovanni Bajo