[PyQt] Python update_refs assertion with updated sip and PyQt

Claus, Richard claus at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 14 21:16:07 BST 2007

Hi All,

One of our Qt 4 applications that has been running fine for quite some time suddenly started intermittantly producing the following crash after we upgraded sip and PyQt:

python: Modules/gcmodule.c:261: update_refs: Assertion `gc->gc.gc_refs != 0' failed.
Abort

Versions under which it worked correctly are sip 4.5.2, PyQt 4.1.1, Qt 4.2.3 and python 2.5.0.  The crashes have been occuring with versions sip 4.7, PyQt 4.3, Qt 4.3.0 and python 2.5.1.  We also saw this happen with sip 4.6, but don't remember the PyQt version number.  We're quite confident that we've seen the crash with both python versions.  The OS is Linux RHEL WS 4 (Nahant Update 5) 2.6.9-55.0.2.Elsmp.

I'm not sure whether this is real or not, but I think I can trigger the crash by moving the GUI window around on the screen before it has completed drawing for the first time.

Could someone please give us a pointer to where/how we should start looking?

	Thanks very much!

	Cheers,
		Ric