KDE 4 (was: [PyKDE] PyQt 4 on openSUSE)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Sep 8 09:26:43 BST 2006

On Friday 08 September 2006 01:51, David Boddie wrote:
> Although KDE 4 looks like it's starting to take shape, I can't believe that
> there's not going to be a lot of flux in the APIs before they stabilize
> into a form that provides the features that have been promoted in various
> places. I don't think it's worthwhile synchronising just yet, though it's
> possible that some groundwork could be put in for the future.

In october, there will be a technical preview of KDE4 That's after aKademy, I
excpect a lot of changes to be done there, especially WRT API issues, since
those discussions make a lot of sense face-to-face. After aKademy, it should
settle down a bit, although the APIs are probably still to be changed. At the
moment, a couple of important things have not happened yet: Plasma is far
from ready, Solid hasn't been merged, Akonadi (Ok, that's more comparable
with kdepimlibs, but still) is not yet there...

It would be nice, however, to have something to play with in the meantime,
especially for those, that would like to ship their PyKDE when KDE4 is
released, or shortly thereafter. But then I'm not the one who has to run
after an unstable API. In that sense, it would make a lot of sense to
maintain only one copy in a public place (KDE SVN?), so people can more
easily help getting PyKDE into shape. As Jim said, it's not that hard to
write the sip files, and given the active and helpful community around Py(Qt|
KDE), I can imagine that it "just works".
--
sebas

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you
do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will
understand why I dismiss yours. - Sir Stephen Henry Roberts