[PyKDE] Conceptual issue: How to talk to a "running" QtGui.QApplication?

Johannes Graumann johannes_graumann at web.de
Wed Oct 11 08:15:34 BST 2006

Hello,

As you may have notices, I'm really new to this and am perpetually confused ... my current confusion orbits around the following question:
imagine a class that looks something like this:

class App(QtGui.QApplication):
    def __init__(self,args):
      QtGui.QApplication.__init__(self, args)
      self.maindialog = uic.loadUi("App.ui")
      self._connectSlots()
      self.maindialog.show()
      self.exec_()

and is being initialized like so:

if __name__=="__main__":
  App = App(sys.argv)

<naive question>So how do you proceed with your program flow?</naive question> As I found out, any code below the initialization is only executeted after you quit the shown gui ... I had expected that one initializes the gui and is than able to 'connect' to it and modify the widgets as the program goes along ...

Please enlighten me! Pointers to the right documentation are HIGHLy appreciated ... I don't seem to use the right search terms ...

Thanks, Joh