[PyKDE] Re: Plans for Python bindings in KDE 4

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Fri Nov 24 23:30:38 GMT 2006

On Friday 24 November 2006 10:36 pm, Simon Edwards wrote:
> On Friday 24 November 2006 19:04, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > >
> > > Sebas was asking if there is an agreement with Riverbank like the one
> > > between the FreeQt foundation and Trolltech. i.e. what happens to SIP
> > > and PyQt if Riverbank go out of business. Currently there is no such
> > > agreement in place if Riverbank disappears. We could try organising one
> > > if people feel that it is necessary.
> > >
> > > And also just to be clear, there are no plans to keep a copy of SIP or
> > > PyQt
> > > in KDE SVN like what has been done during in KDE 3.
> >
> > Didn't that agreement pre-date the GPL version of Qt? I don't see what
> > the purpose of such an agreement would be given the code is available
> > under the GPL.
>
> That agreement does pre-date the GPL version, and is still in effect and
> relevant. It was updated in May 2004 incidentally. What the agreement
> basically says is that if Trolltech stop releasing the Free Edition (=>GPL
> version) of Qt for more than 12 months, then the last version becomes BSD
> licensed. The effect of this is that companies will always be able to build
> non-GPL software on top of Qt and KDE[1] either by buying a Qt license from
> Trolltech, or using the BSD version.
>
> [1] KDE's libraries are LGPL.

That makes no sense at all. You're saying that the situation that the
agreement covers is if Trolltech continues to develop the commercial version
but stops developing the GPL version. Which means that the position of
the "free" community doesn't significantly change, but the commercial
community now have the choice of continuing to pay license fees or taking a
chance with the free BSD fork.

As I see it, the only group with any possible concern is the commercial users
who have the same issues with any proprietary package they use.