[PyKDE] feature request for eric4

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Jul 8 15:01:51 BST 2006

On Saturday 08 July 2006 13:49, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> Am Samstag, 8. Juli 2006 13:00 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > On 08.07.06 10:48:30, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> > > Hi Andreas,
> > >
> > > that is already possible with eric3 (unless it is broken).
> > >
> > > Alternative 1: You can change the environment for the debug client
> > > globally in the configuration dialog, Debugger -> General page.
> > > Here you may replace the environment or ammend it.
> > >
> > > Alternative 2: You can do the same on a project basis by using the
> > > Project menu -> Debugger -> Debugger Properties.
> > >
> > > I hope, that satisfies your needs.
> >
> > Forget my other answer, it works exactly the way the code was
> > written. However the label of the checkbox could need improvement,
> > something like "completely replaced" or "Empty the environment before
> > setting the variables". It wasn't obvious to me at least.
> >
> > The other thing is: Running my application inside eric3 (debug or
> > direct run) doesn't trigger the error, even if I launch eric3 via:
> > LANG=de_DE eric3. When I run the app from the commandline using
> > LANG=de_DE python myapp.py I get the exception. Any idea what might
> > be different here? I don't really want to debug that using the python
> > debugg...
>
> Sounds like it's i/o encoding related, and then yes, that could make a
> difference inside eric. If I remember correctly, eric sets a different
> default encoding compared to plain python.
> (see site-packages/sitecustomize.py)

In the patched sitecustomize.py I only save the reference to the
sys.setdefaultencoding function. In the eric3 IDE the encoding is set to
whatever was configured by the user. In the debugger client, the default
encoding set to a value extracted from the coding line of the script to be
executed. I think, this explains the difference.