[review] [PyKDE] tutorials for PyKDE?

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Jan 28 22:19:08 GMT 2006

On Saturday 28 January 2006 13:37, Chakkaradeep C C wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i started off with PyQt and now i need to try hands with PyKDE and use
>  KDE Widgets too...

> i would be happy if i get help on where to find some sample tutorials and
> starters....

If you have the PyKDE tarball (http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pykde),
there are some example programs in the examples/ directory. The templates/
directory has some simple program templates - in templates/annotated/ they
have comments, in templates/basic/, they're the same templates with comments
stripped.

As far as documentation, docs/ contains the PyKDE docs in HTML - the class
reference contains the modules, classes and methods supported, but only
provides information about names and argument types in Python. For
information on what classes and methods actually do, refer to the KDE-API
docs. On my distribution (SuSE) they're located at /usr/share/docs/KDE3-API
and also at $KDEDIR/share/doc/HTML/en/kdelibs-apidocs for English docs -
change the "en" part of the path for other languages, but I'm not sure how
widely translated they are (on SuSE $KDEDIR = /opt/kde3 - it varies on other
distributions). I believe they're installed as part of the kdelibs3-doc or
kdelibs3-devel packages; they're also available online in the Developer's
section at kde.org.

For some specifics uses, there may be KDE tutorials or other docs as well,
although they'll be written for C++, just as the kdelibs docs (or Qt docs)
are.

Lastly, you can always ask questions here.

The biggest difference from PyQt is that PyKDE apps require a KApplication
instead of QApplication object.

Jim