[PyKDE] New PyKDE snapshot - help needed

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Jan 21 00:31:53 GMT 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 15:36, Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Thursday 19 January 2006 07:01, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> > I also need feedback on whether this snapshot builds on various systems -
> > I currently am only setup to test on SuSE so none of this has been tested
> > on Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu or Gentoo. I don't expect major problems.
>
> FreeBSD is ok. New port/pkg version
>
> > The next release will be PyKDE 3.15.0 or 3.15.1 - I've decided to sync
> > the PyKDE versions with the most recent KDE version supported, but I
> > don't want to go backwards to 3.5, so the 3.15.0 will have to stand for
> > 3.5.0 until KDE 4.0 support is available, which will be PyKDE 4.0.
>
> I was expecting something like this. Of course I put my package version at
> 4.0.0 in May or so :) I've epoch'd it back.

Sorry - it's some corollary to Murphy's Law in operation. If you hadn't
changed to 4.0 for this release, I would have.

> > 4.0.1.  As reported before, I can't get file concatenation to work with
> > either PyQt or PyKDE on gcc 4.0.1 - configure.py for PyKDE will
> > automatically switch to non-concatenated files for that gcc version
> > (otherwise it concatenates all the individual files for each module,
> > which saves about 80% of compile time).
>
> I've received a build problem report on sparc64 which I think has to do
> with concatting. For now I'm just trying -j 3 instead of 2 (for other
> non-i386) and waiting until the build cluster gets around to doing another
> run (not mine, I just receive failure reports).

Good point - that also might help with Stpehen's problem on x64 (-jN splits
each concatenated file into N chunks, which was originally intended for
multi-processor systems, but also cuts down memory usage, the kdeui module is
always split into at least 2 chunks already because of its size).

> > Since KDE 3.5.1 is just about ready to release, the actual PyKDE release
> > coming up may be 3.15.1 to include that. Either way, the offical released
> > version will be sometime in the next 2 weeks.
>
> Great!
>
> BTW, building on i386 (P4 3.4 GHz/1 GB RAM) takes ~13 minutes with standard
> concat (with only kdeui having -j 2). Can measure without if anyone's
> interested.

> I was surprised to see someone mention that on amd64 with not to much (?)
> memory having better results without concatting. If it remains hairy with
> our sparc and maybe others I could imagine trying with no concat. Obviously
> I don't have any non-i386 HW otherwise I would just try. If any of you can
> give me advice on this I'd appreciate it.

> OK, I'd like to mention the patches/seds I'm still using since the Oct
> snapshot:
>
> - the known fixx11h.sip thingie, I understand this goes into the next snap

Already committed

> - small dcopexport.py patch to deal with void

Just checked and that didn't get done, so I've fixed it and committed the
change this time.

> - some doc files still have /home/jim/PyKDE340rc1/doc/index.html in links

Docs are yet to be fixed - I'll check that also.

> - post-install, need to byte compile pykdeconfig, dcopexport, dcopext to
> pyc and pyo (I do it by importing them, the latter is only for convention)
> so that the site-packages contain a set of files that are always known upon
> deinstall. If they would be compiled during build stage it would be easier
> for packagers to be prefix-safe.

I'll look at doing that too - it shouldn't be hard to add.

Thanks for the input!

Jim