[PyKDE] New PyKDE snapshot - help needed

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Fri Jan 20 23:36:39 GMT 2006

On Thursday 19 January 2006 07:01, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> I also need feedback on whether this snapshot builds on various systems - I
> currently am only setup to test on SuSE so none of this has been tested on
> Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu or Gentoo. I don't expect major problems.

FreeBSD is ok. New port/pkg version

> The next release will be PyKDE 3.15.0 or 3.15.1 - I've decided to sync the
> PyKDE versions with the most recent KDE version supported, but I don't want
> to go backwards to 3.5, so the 3.15.0 will have to stand for 3.5.0 until
> KDE 4.0 support is available, which will be PyKDE 4.0.

I was expecting something like this. Of course I put my package version at
4.0.0 in May or so :) I've epoch'd it back.

> 4.0.1.  As reported before, I can't get file concatenation to work with
> either PyQt or PyKDE on gcc 4.0.1 - configure.py for PyKDE will
> automatically switch to non-concatenated files for that gcc version
> (otherwise it concatenates all the individual files for each module, which
> saves about 80% of compile time).

I've received a build problem report on sparc64 which I think has to do with
concatting. For now I'm just trying -j 3 instead of 2 (for other non-i386)
and waiting until the build cluster gets around to doing another run (not
mine, I just receive failure reports).

> Since KDE 3.5.1 is just about ready to release, the actual PyKDE release
> coming up may be 3.15.1 to include that. Either way, the offical released
> version will be sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Great!

BTW, building on i386 (P4 3.4 GHz/1 GB RAM) takes ~13 minutes with standard
concat (with only kdeui having -j 2). Can measure without if anyone's
interested.

I was surprised to see someone mention that on amd64 with not to much (?)
memory having better results without concatting. If it remains hairy with our
sparc and maybe others I could imagine trying with no concat. Obviously I
don't have any non-i386 HW otherwise I would just try. If any of you can give
me advice on this I'd appreciate it.

OK, I'd like to mention the patches/seds I'm still using since the Oct
snapshot:

- the known fixx11h.sip thingie, I understand this goes into the next snap
- small dcopexport.py patch to deal with void
- some doc files still have /home/jim/PyKDE340rc1/doc/index.html in links
- post-install, need to byte compile pykdeconfig, dcopexport, dcopext to pyc
and pyo (I do it by importing them, the latter is only for convention) so
that the site-packages contain a set of files that are always known upon
deinstall. If they would be compiled during build stage it would be easier
for packagers to be prefix-safe.

Cheers,

Dan