[PyKDE] PyKDE concatenation and gcc4.0.3 [was: New PyKDE snapshot - help needed]

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jan 20 20:24:11 GMT 2006

On 20.01.06 20:53:13, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> On Friday 20 January 2006 20:03, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> > On an 800MHz machine with a 100MHz front side bus, the concatenated version
> > using gcc 3 takes about 45 minutes, the non-concatenated version with gcc 4
> > takes about 75 minutes, and (as I recall) the non-concatenated version with
> > gcc 3 takes close to 3 hours. So gcc 4 is still much faster, even without
> > concatenation. Thanks for the info on 4.0.3 - I'll modify configure.py to
> > take that into account automatically.
>
> on my amd64 sempron 1.6GHz with 512 Megs, the concatenated versions takes more
> then 3 hours. Because it uses all available RAM and a huge ammount of swap
> space. The normal file by file compile takes only 1 hour.

Wow, that's extreme. I compiled PyKDE on a Centrino 1.4 GHz in less then
30 Minutes having only 512 Megs Ram (and 700 Swap), while actually
running KDE, including amarok (which is for a music player quite
cpu-hungry) and writing some mails (in a xfce4-terminal, which is also
quite cpu-intensive). As I said, the system slowed down really good but
there were still at least 30 Megs Ram unused and I don't think that any
swap got used for that.

Oh that's the concatenated version of PyKDE I'm talking about, the
non-concat version is taking about double or tripple the time, but uses
much less memory.

Andreas

--
Your motives for doing whatever good deed you may have in mind will be
misinterpreted by somebody.