[PyKDE] PyKDE concatenation and gcc4.0.3 [was: New PyKDE snapshot - help needed]

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Jan 20 19:03:44 GMT 2006

On Thursday 19 January 2006 06:31, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 19.01.06 14:22:53, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 18.01.06 23:01:01, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> > > I also need feedback on whether this snapshot builds on various systems
> > > - I currently am only setup to test on SuSE so none of this has been
> > > tested on Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu or Gentoo. I don't expect major
> > > problems.
> >
> > Ok, here you go:
> >
> > uptodate Debian Sid
> > python 2.4.2 compiled with gcc-4.0.3 into $HOME/python2.4
> > PyQt and sip latest snapshots
> >
> > Compiled fine and at least the open/save dialogs work fine (have no
> > PyKDE app at hand).
> >
> > I'll try another compilation to check wether gcc4.0.3 can handle
> > concatenated files. (BTW, compilation took about 1 hour here with a
> > Centrino 1.4MHz and 512 MB RAM).
>
> Apart from extensive Memory usage and a lot of warnings PyKDE compiled
> fine in concatenation mode using above mentioned system. And in fact it
> really is a _lot_ faster.

On an 800MHz machine with a 100MHz front side bus, the concatenated version
using gcc 3 takes about 45 minutes, the non-concatenated version with gcc 4
takes about 75 minutes, and (as I recall) the non-concatenated version with
gcc 3 takes close to 3 hours. So gcc 4 is still much faster, even without
concatenation. Thanks for the info on 4.0.3 - I'll modify configure.py to
take that into account automatically.

Just as a point of reference (and from memory, so these are approximate),
PyKDE is built from about 600-700 h files in kdelibs. I automatically create
about 60,000 lines of .sip files, which are about 99.5+% correct, and then
manually correct a few errors and add some handwritten code (handwritten code
is probably less than 5% now and will be even less in the future).

sip takes the *.sip files and generates something well over 1 Million lines of
C++ code, so the compile times are understandable. IMO, that's quite a
testament to sip's productivity and robustness.

Ricardo Javier Cardenes suggested the concatenation scheme, which I believe is
something Debian does. That not only saves users time - it makes development
a lot faster, since I probably go through 50-100 compiles (many partial
though) to get a release out.

Jim