[PyKDE] PyKDE example app(s).. what do *you* have? :)

Patrick Stinson patrickkidd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 05:18:57 GMT 2006

It's only a matter of time before high-level programming like this will take
off, IMHO. It still pains me to see someone waste there time with
pre-compilation and syntax soup to write some of the new apps we see. My
co-conspiritors and I have been pushing pyqt here and there in the
commercial domain for a while, and one of the selling points has been the
active list and the fast response to bugs (Phil) that is "available".

You're right, the more code we get out there the better, especially because
success with python is all about reading and learning (again, my opinion).

On 2/15/06, Danny Pansters <danny at ricin.com> wrote:

> If we're showing off anyway (Patrick).. well I've seen quite a few people
> lately asking for working real-life examples of pyqt/pykde, here's one.
> It's
> for (Free)BSD not for Linux or Windows but it probably is a nice example
> of
> how PyKDE can be used in a useful way (once again this is PyQt3 and
> PyKDE3,
> no Qt4 yet). Hints, comments, nitpicks are welcome.
>
> http://freebsd.ricin.com/kbtv
>
> It could be ported to Linux (v4l) but I think that one problem is (and it
> would show) v4l's inclusion of non-TV hardware. Nice if you have one but
> it
> squeezes the api.
>
> Well anyway, I think this may be a nice example of how to use PyQt/KDE and
> a/the larger picture. Because frankly if you don't have any real Python
> leverage people are going to ask you, rightfully, why not in C++... (some
> free ammo: a Qt C++ object works just as fast from sip/Py as it does
> "natively" ater you've instantiated it).
>
> Just my /me too :)
>
> Dan

Patrick Kidd Stinson
http://pkaudio.sourceforge.net/