[PyKDE] kdedistutils and --prefix

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Tue Dec 5 07:34:32 GMT 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 15:32, Marcos Dione wrote:
>     I've been using kdeextensions' kdedistutils to install a program. I
> use executable_links as this:
>
> [...]
>     executable_links = [('psync','psy.py')],
> [...]
>     then I run setup.py like this:
>
> $ python setup.py
install --prefix=/home/mdione/src/projects/psync/src/trunk/debian/tmp/usr

>     (it's really a debian package being built). the problem is that
> executable_links seems to be ignoring --prefix, as I get this:
>
> [...]
> running install_lib
> [...]
byte-compiling /home/mdione/src/projects/psync/src/trunk/debian/tmp/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/psync/utils.py
to utils.pyc
> running install_executable_links
> symlinking /usr/bin/psync -> /usr/share/apps/psync/psy.py
> error: Permission denied
> [...]

It has been a while since I've messed with distutils, but I think you might be
looking for something like:

    python setup.py \
      install \
      --root=/home/mdione/src/projects/psync/src/trunk/debian/tmp \
      --prefix=/usr

For KDE4 I'll probably have a look around for a better build/install system.
I'm not even sure if distutils is still being developed. The release (PEP
361) schedule for Python 2.6 has an item "distutils replacement (requires a
PEP)", but I don't know what they are referring to.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/