[PyKDE] pykde segfaults

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Sep 5 20:52:52 BST 2005

On Monday 05 September 2005 12:14, Gudjon I. Gudjonsson wrote:
> Þann Mánudagur 5. september 2005 20:54 skrifaði Jim Bublitz:
> > On Monday 05 September 2005 11:29, Gudjon I. Gudjonsson wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >    I am using Debian unstable and kde 3.4.2. Pykde finishes with
> > > segmentation fault when reaching the lines
> > >        self.kDoubleNumInput1_4 =
> > > KDoubleNumInput(self.groupBox4,"kDoubleNumInput1_4")
> > > or if that is commented out then it stops (with segmentation fault) at
> > > self.kComboBox2 = KComboBox(0,self.groupBox5,"kComboBox2")
> > > I am using PyKDE-snapshot20050829.tar.gz. All example programs work and
> > > both KComboBox and KDoubleNumInput are used there so I don't understand
> > > why it crashes in my program.
> >
> > Could you please post an example program (short if possible) that
> > exhibits this behavior. As you indicate, the classes involved seem to
> > operate correctly in at least some circumstances, and I have no way of
> > knowing under what circumstances PyKDE is failing.
> >
> > Jim
>
> Here is a program that gives a segmentation fault on my computer (the line
> is marked in the code). There code does not make much sense but it works if
> two lines are commented out. The full program worked some weeks ago on
> debian but I don't remember what version that was.
>    Do you want to get an strace output or some other information?

You're using QApplication instead of KApplication. If you add:

   from kdecore import KApplication

and change

   app = QApplication (sys.argv)

   app = KApplication (sys.argv,  "")

it won't segfault (doesn't appear to display everything the way you probably
intend - didn't troubleshoot that).

You can look at .py files in the examples/ directory or templates/ directory
for other examples of instantiating KApplication.

Jim