[PyKDE] "pure virtual method called"

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Sat Mar 26 10:08:03 GMT 2005

On Saturday 26 March 2005 9:42 am, Simon Edwards wrote:
> On Friday 25 March 2005 16:09, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > On Thursday 24 March 2005 7:05 pm, Simon Edwards wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > If I play this this code (see attachment) I quickly run up against a
> > > crash or the message "pure virtual method called" and then a crash.
> > >
> > > I'm overriding createView(), but my version should right now behave
>
> exactly
>
> > > the same as the KDE one. ideas?
> >
> > This works fine for me using current snapshots.
>
> I'm using SIP 4.0.1, PyQt-x11-gpl-3.12, PyKDE 3.11.1 (KDE 3.3 bindings).
>
> If I comment out the "if KFile.isDetailView(view) and not preview:" stuff
> in createView(), then I can't get it to crash. So for me it seems to be
> related to the self made KFileDetailView object... but I've been looking at
> the source for KDirOperator and my code should behave exactly the same as
> the 'real' implementation. :-/ The message about a "virtual function" or
> whatever is a bit disturbing.
>
> How can I go about debugging this?

I'm not sure that you should as you are in danger of forking PyKDE and will
end up with the KDE blessed version N that behaves differently to the regular
version N.

As the bug has already been fixed in current versions of SIP, all I can
suggest is to go through the ChangeLog and see if something rings a bell.
Also the mailing list archives for something similar to get a date where it
might have been fixed. If you can narrow it down to a date range I can send
you diffs.