[PyKDE] Eric3 Usability Questions / Feedback

Stephen Schaub stephen_schaub_88 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 15 15:05:27 GMT 2005

I'm an occasional eric3 user and have some usage questions and observations
about the current version.

Platform: Fedora Core 2
Eric3 v. 3.6.2

1. I create a new project and want to add a .ui form. What's the easiest way
to do this?

Currently, I launch Qt Designer, design and save the form, then back in
eric, choose Project > Add File.

I did notice that, once I have a form added to the project, I can
right-click in the Forms tab of the Project Browser and choose New Form. But
right-clicking in the Forms tab in a newly created project when there are no
forms does not present a context menu.

It might be nice to have a "New Form" option on the File menu, that gives
new users an obvious way to get started creating a new form.

2. What's the easiest way to create a new Python script and add it to the
current project?

Currently, I choose File > New, type in and save the script, then choose
Project > Add File to add it to the project.

It would be nice if the save dialog could have a checkbox "Add to Project",
which would be checked by default. That would eliminate the Project > Add
File step.

3. Is there any way to remove some of the toolbars? I can undock them, but
can't seem to get rid of them.

For a new / occasional user (like me), the eric3 toolbars seem overwhelming.
All those icons! I don't have any objections to toolbars, but I would love
to see the IDE start with a minimal toolbar set, and careful thought given
to the initial toolbars that would improve the initial user experience.

4. Suggestion: When I choose "Generate Subclass" for a form, in the dialog
that pops up, I would love to see an "Add to Project" checkbox, checked by
default. The generated subclass would be saved in a .py file with the name
of the class.

Thanks, Detlev, for your hard work on this very useful IDE. I love
introducing my students to GUI programming with Python using this tool.

Regards,

Stephen Schaub