[PyKDE] frankestein python distro...

Antonio Cavallo a.cavallo at mailsnare.com
Sat Jun 25 12:21:14 BST 2005

> Thanks for the pointer, we'll be checking it out. One thing that
> confused me though, is pyvm meant to be extensible to easily add other
> libraries, or just as a prebuilt package of the libraries listed.

Well, the general hope is to have something that people can use
to extend a fixed "base": so the answer is yes, it can be
extended.

Once you issue the:

. python-2.4/suse-9.2/python.sh

The current user (for the length of her/his session)
will see the new version of python plus all the module that
come with pyvm (notably pyqt, pygtk, eric3 plus patches
and a restructured text patch that can handle formulas in
tex, something I regret had no time to
pass back to the main authors).

If you'd like to "extend" all you need to do is the
usual python setup.py build && python setup.py install
cycle: thanks to the settings in the python.sh script
they should work and install the python module
inside the relocated directory (it means the private one).

If you'd prefer fork the pyvm and add your own "pyvm"
(no, I'm afraid I don't claim to be the first to have
the same idea), that's reasonable easy to do:
Have a look to the source pyvm.tgz.

All it does is downloading the sources, rebuild and
put in a temporary directoy.
The script are reasonably commented so should be trivial
to extend and include other python modules.
If your modules are "conform" to the usual python
style, than that should be really trivial as
add an entry to the config.ini and put the name in
build.sh.

Please have a look to the file ./support/shtools/ident.sh:
it is critical that recognise your distro
in order to work (actually it does this for
a plenty of linux distro).
Moreover inside sys/1.5.0 there are the dependency checks
for the runtime system and the compile time as well.

I hope that solves the confusion.
regards,
antonio