[PyKDE] [eric3] file/class browser

Diez B. Roggisch deets at web.de
Sun Jul 17 20:48:32 BST 2005

> How should the editor know, which class a variable belongs to. Python is a
> dynamically typed language. This means, that the type of an object is
> determined at runtime. This is a very big difference to C++ or Java, where a
> scanner can parse the source and determine the type of an object even before
> the code is compiled.

I'm pretty well aware of that - but I'm talking about visiting a file
via the tabs, detecting code in it like

self.foobar()

and then one wants to visit foobar - which is located in the same file.
So syncing the classbrowser with the currently visited file is nice. No
reflection/type inference here.

> Somebody recommended to make a toolbar with an entry for the search expression
> and a find and find next button. The search should use the flags set last
> time the search dialog was used. How about that?

The important part for me would be that it's fully Key-operated - in
emacs, I press C-s for forward search, then start typing which does
incrementally search. Pressing C-c twice makes the last search
expression appear. C-r does the same backwards.

Displaying the search term in a toolbar is ok, but the advantage of the
minibuffer-style is that it occupies precious screenspace only when needed.

>>And the ability to search forward/backward from the current cursor
>>position with possible wrap arounds instead of always beginning at the
>>top would also be great. Any chances for this?
>

> That is in. Just select the backwards checkbox and select Find Again (or press
> F3).

It's not about searching backward, but about searching from the cursor
position - instead of the beginnig, which is AFAIK the eric behaviour
.I'm on my mac now and haven't eric running, so I can't check that out -
but I was annoyed by that, and usually I know how to operate GUIs so I'd
seen an option that changes that behaviour - I hope at least.

Regards,

Diez