[PyKDE] [eric3] file/class browser

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Fri Jul 15 17:36:56 BST 2005

Am Dienstag, 12. Juli 2005 20:00 schrieb Diez B. Roggisch:
> > That could be added. What would it be good for?
>
> It's sometimes nice in larger projects when you browse a file that e.g.
> contains a class which has a method foo, which in turn calls a bar
> method in that very class. Then you can simply use the object browser to
> jump there instead of skimming through the file.

How should the editor know, which class a variable belongs to. Python is a
dynamically typed language. This means, that the type of an object is
determined at runtime. This is a very big difference to C++ or Java, where a
scanner can parse the source and determine the type of an object even before
the code is compiled.

> BTW, a feature that I'm personally missing most in all not
> emacs/vi-flavoured editors is an incremental search with a
> minibuffer-style search dialog.The reason is simply that the rather
> large search dialog obstructs the editor view.

Somebody recommended to make a toolbar with an entry for the search expression
and a find and find next button. The search should use the flags set last
time the search dialog was used. How about that?

> And the ability to search forward/backward from the current cursor
> position with possible wrap arounds instead of always beginning at the
> top would also be great. Any chances for this?

That is in. Just select the backwards checkbox and select Find Again (or press
F3).

> Thanks,
>
> Diez

Detlev