[PyKDE] more complex rich text / HTML

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Fri Oct 15 08:36:23 BST 2004

I'm writing an app and want one of the widgets to look
like a HTML display, with support for buttons, check
boxes, different fonts, and hyperlinks.

Qt's rich text browser isn't powerful enough.  It doesn't
let me put controls in its qt rich text language nor
even let me change the background color of parts of text.

I played around with the idea of implementing a flow-based
layout system myself and have something of a hack working,
enough to figure out that the rest will take me at least
another week.

And probably another couple weeks or more if I want it to
support font scaling, text selection, bidirectional text,
stylesheets ... okay, more like a month or more.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My crazy thought is to embed a native HTML widget for
the different platforms, so that I use IE to display
under MS Windows, Safari for Mac, and Konqueror for Linux.
(That's all I need to support.)

While the last is definitely possible, I can't find
an example of embedding IE nor even a hint that this
might be possible on Mac OS X.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com