[PyKDE] python profiler with pyqt

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Thu Nov 18 16:36:01 GMT 2004

[Solly]
> Has anyone tried using the python profiler to profile a pyQt-based app?
>
> When I run it on my application it ignores all the qt function calls, and
> only profiles methods which I have defined myself.

I don't use PyQt, but I suspect the reason is that the PyQt calls are
implemented directly in C.  The Python profiler only profiles functions
that are implemented in Python.

I have a recipe in the Python Cookbook here:

  http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/81535

that lets you wrap a C module in a transparent Python wrapper, so that
the profiler will work for it.  Whether it's reasonable to attempt to do
this for something as large as PyQt I don't know.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com