[PyKDE] User feedback about Eric3

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Wed Jun 23 19:33:01 BST 2004

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 23. Juni 2004 11:50 schrieb Nicola Larosa:
> First, thanks to Detlev Offenbach for a such a wonderful IDE! :^)
>
> I checked it out last year, but could not use it since it did not yet
> support Quixote's PTLs in the Project Browser. I've been now using it
> daily for a few months.
>
> This report refers to the following versions (drats, can't copy and
> paste from Help | Show Versions):
>
> Eric: snapshot-20040529
> Python: 2.3.4
> Qt: 3.2.1
> PyQt: 3.8
> QScintilla: 1.2
> Bycicle Repair Man: 0.9
>
> running on Debian unstable, where I am avoiding upgrading PyQt to 3.10
> on account of possible problems with Eric3.
>
> 1) Trying to open a file, either pressing Ctrl-O or selecting File |
> Open... crashes Eric3 immediately. Running it from the console, it
> just says "Segmentation fault".

The fix (your diff) will be in the next snapshot.

> 2) The automatic syntax check every time a file is saved is great.
> Alas, PTL are apparently checked against the standard Python syntax,
> since every time I save one I get the "inverted triangle"-shaped red
> exclamation mark on the first "def fun [html] ():" line of the
> template.

That is correct. For the moment you have to disable the automatic syntax
check on the Editor - General configuration page (or live with it). I
can try to call the Quixote compile function for PTL files. I'll add
this to the todo list

> 3) I agree with a remark made by someone a while ago, the
> autocompletion box is a little too hard to close. Autocompletion is
> sure a great help, though. The box displaying parameter definitions
> for functions and methods is a little too persistent, too.

That is a QScintilla feature. Please address this to Phil.

> Thanks again for a great tool, and keep up the good job!

Detlev
--
Detlev Offenbach
detlev at die-offenbachs.de