[PyKDE] Intro + question on where to stick finger

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed Jun 23 12:00:01 BST 2004

Hi all,

I'm a fairly advanced Python programmer who is trying to move my primary
development environment to (Gentoo) Linux from PythonWin.  A key part of
that migration plan is Eric (which is so far the only IDE I've found
that fairly closely duplicates the operation of PythonWin on Linux), so
thanks for writing it!

However, to make myself comfortable enough to actually abandon Win32,
I'm going to need to make a few changes, so I'm interested in any
pointers for where to stick my fingers to implement these features (btw,
most of my GUI design experience is in wxPython, so I'm not up to speed
on Qt/KDE development yet):

    * single-instance operation -- when I tell Konquerer to edit
      something with eric3 I'm really wanting it to send the file to the
      currently-running instance or start a new one if there is none
      (otherwise it's *way* too slow).  I can certainly do this with a
      named pipe or something similar, but if there's already an
      equivalent to wxSingleInstanceChecker and something elegant to
      send events to the running instance I'd prefer to use that.
    * adding cvs-on-server support -- as far as I can tell, eric's CVS
      support only works with local repositories.  Since *all* of my
      projects are hosted on remote servers, I'll need to add support
      for such access to the CVS sub-system if it's to be of any use to me.
    * provide package import as project -- as far as I can tell there's
      no way to automatically import a Python package as a project.
      This may just be a newbie UI error, but if not, I'd like to add
      this, though it's actually a pretty low priority (i.e. I can work
      around it, I don't actually *need* project support AFAIK)
    * drag-and-drop -- as with single-instance operation, when I drag a
      file from Konquerer onto my IDE, I want it to open the file.  I
      assume this will be a fairly trivial task once I figure out KDE's
      model for D&D.

Anyway, to reiterate, thanks for the great project, and I hope to be
able to contribute something back to it.

Take care,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder