[PyKDE] KControl modules problem

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sun Jan 18 03:05:01 GMT 2004

Simon,

[I'm cutting and pasting from the archives because I receive list messages
 in digest form, and so your message hasn't arrived yet. :-)]

> I've been busy with using Python in KControl and it is mostly working fairly
> after integrating David build code in my distutils build system. Anyway,
> I've hit crash bug in one of my modules. It seems to be a call to
> os.popen(), it crashes KControl immediately. Any ideas?

Can you provide a backtrace, or even the module code?

> Also why is it necessary to link the C++ stub library to all of the python
> .so modules that the script uses?

The short answer is that I don't know. Have you tried not linking some of
them to see what happens? Hint: the behaviour you'll see might be related to
the cause of the os.popen crash. ;-)

Shared library modules can obviously be used with a normal Python interpreter
despite the fact that the executable has no explicit knowledge about them.
However, the process which enables this appears not to work in the embedded
domain for some reason. You can get away with linking with less than the
full number of modules but, unless you can think of a way to solve the
fundamental problem, there are always going to be modules which won't
work because they haven't been linked to.

I'll take a look inside Python to see if there are any clues which can be
used to solve this problem. I'd really like to be able to dump many of the
"requirements" declarations in the build system.

All the best,

David