[PyKDE] SIP-4.0rc1 on Mac OS X with Fink's qt3-3.2.3

dan at tombstonezero.net dan at tombstonezero.net
Tue Jan 6 04:01:01 GMT 2004

I know it's bad form to follow up my own post, but in this case,
since I have answers and good news, I'll make an exception.  ;-)

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 08:44:32 -0500,
Dan Sommers <dan at tombstonezero.net> wrote:

> Skipping ahead, qt-mac-free-3.2.3 now works, and now it's on to
> sip:

[snip]

> c++ -bundle -framework Python -o sip.so siplib.o qtlib.o threads.o objmap.o -L/Users/dan/local/qt/lib -lqt
> ld: can't locate framework for: -framework Python
> make[1]: *** [sip.so] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2

> I'm running Mac OS X 10.2.8 with the August 2003 Update to the
> development tools.  I'm also running fink's python 2.3.2.

Here's the deal:  Mac OS X 10.2.8 (Jaguar) only comes with *most*
of the Python distribution.  I built "framework Python" (from
source; aka MacPython) to get the Python Framework.  MacPython
builds out of the box on 10.2.8, once I followed the extra
instructions at

    http://marc.free.net.ph/message/20031223.141119.6760aa22.html

(which say to edit Mac/OSX/Makefile to set PBXBUILD to pbxbuild
and not xcodebuild).

SIP and PyQt both built without a hitch atop my brand new
framework python.  :-)

(Well, okay one hitch.  I now have two complete and separate
Python installations, one from fink and the one I just built
myself.  At least I have a working PyQt with which to learn and
experiment; I'll optimize it later....)

Of course this is all moot under Mac OS 10.3 (Panther), which
comes with a complete python distribution, including the Python
Framework.  :-/

Regards,
Dan Sommers

--