[PyKDE] SIP questions

WELCH,DONALD J (HP-Vancouver,ex1) donald_welch at am.exch.hp.com
Tue Mar 25 20:21:00 GMT 2003

Greetings-

I am attempting to wrap a shared library on Linux using SIP. This shared
library's API defines several C++ classes that interelate (in both IS-A and
HAS-A relationships). Currently, all the classes are declared in a single .h
file.

Questions:

1. What is the difference between %Import and %Include?
2. Should I define a single top level .sip file that has the %Module
statement and then %Imports/%Includes each of the .sip files for each class
that is being wrapped? If not, where does the %Module statement go? I am
confused bt the PyQt file qtmod.sip that %Includes other .sip files, but
then those .sip files %Import qtmod.sip.
3. In the PyQt .sip files, the %Module statement includes a 0 (zero) after
the module name. This is not in the SIP docs. What does it mean?
4. Should the .sip file for each class %Include or %Import the .sip file for
classes that are referenced by the wrapped class?
5. In many of the PyQt .sip files, there isn't any %Include or %Imports to
define base classes. How is this so?
6. Is it possible to add methods to classes in the .sip file that don't
exist in (or exist differently) the wrapped .cpp code? For example, could I
add a method that returns a Python list instead of having the Python client
code call getFirst()/getNext() to enumerate a list of items?
7. Are there any tools to automate h2sip (at least the basic stuff that can
be automated)?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,

Don