[PyKDE] Printing (General)

Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina rcardenes at debian.org
Tue Mar 11 23:47:01 GMT 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:07:40PM -0800, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> As far as report generation/layout - I agree there isn't a good
> general purpose solution that I'm aware of (good project
> possibility for someone who's interested).

It would be fine porting FOP back to Python :') (now it's 100% Java, but
it started as a Python project, IIRC) :'), or contributing to it's
porting to C++ and subsequent SIP-sization }:)

> Apparently I did the layout using ReportLab/platypus and somehow
> (can't find the piece of code that did it) got the PDF output into

Rerporlab is a fine tool, but it needs further development to achieve
some sophisticated features. I used it extensively five months ago on a
project, generating PDF on the fly to serve it via HTTP, and if I had
to start again, I'd probably drop it in favour of Jython+FOP :-/

If they end implementing a good table support, then I could change my
mind, but not now.