[PyKDE] PyKDE-3.8rc1 Released

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sun Aug 31 10:39:01 BST 2003

I just put PyKDE-3.8rc1 up at SourceForge:
(http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/pykde)

This isn't the final release, which is probably a week or two
away. It has the following new stuff:

- Builds with SuSE 8.2/Mandrake 9.1/RH 9.0 (all tested)
- Fixed subclass (%ConvertToSubClassCode) stuff - Gordon Tyler's
patch plus a lot of additional classes covered (in all modules)
- Use latest build.py from Hans-Peter Jensen with a lot of added
hacking for new features (no screaming please)
- Include support for panel applets written in Python (no C++
requred) - see below
- fixes KApplication.quit/KMainWindow.queryClose bug
- added program template section

The major new stuff is the panel applet support (thanks again to
David Boddie). This has two parts - a sip/PyKDE independent lib
(libpythonize) which provides C++ support for embedding Python
(in directory pythonize/) and a PyKPanelApplet class/C++ lib for
the docs/ directory for both libpythonize (minimal) and panel
applets (exhaustive, I hope).

I'd really like to hear comments/criticisms on the libpythonize
stuff and panel applet implementation - I plan to extend the
same ideas to cover panel extensions, KParts, styles, and
whatever else can be turned in to a plugin in KDE (and it
appears that Qt4/KDE4 will be even more plugin based). I'd
appreciate any improvements before I go much farther with that
stuff. There's also some really useless and ugly panel applets
in the pykpanelapplet/ directory too.

The only thing that makes this an "rc" release is that there is
still some cleanup needed on the examples/ subdirectory (really
a mess) and the panel applet installer needs a little work - it
installs applets nicely, but doesn't always behave well if you
try to install something that isn't an applet (it won't let you
do that, but it occasionally crashes for a small subset of
invalid attempts). There are probably a couple of other small
things that I'm forgetting that need fixing too, but nothing
else comes to mind at the moment. --- I did just remember the
other thing - if you write your own .desktop file for an applet,
the installer won't update it properly. For now, if you use the
installer, it's probably best to let it write the .desktop file
(it's just some code I never finished and forgot about 'til
now).

There isn't any need to download this and install it, unless
you're interested in seeing the new features right away or would
like to help out with testing (always appreciated).

PACKAGERS: I would appreciate it if anyone thinking of producing
packages for this would take a look at it - particularly the
install target at the end of the Makefile in pykpanelapplet/.
The way this goes together, it's necessary to make sure a lot of
extra libs are visible for loading (libsip, libqtcmodule,
libkdeuicmodule, etc), so there are a huge number of symlinks
done, and a final '/sbin/ldconfig' at the end of 'make install'.
I'm not sure how/if this affects packaging. The number of
symlinks is kind of ridiculous, but the other option is
attempting to edit the user's ld.so.conf file, and I'd prefer
not to do that.

As far as I know, I'm caught up on bug reports and requests - let
me know if I missed anything.

Jim