Let's help Jim [was Re: [PyKDE] PyKDE-3.7-2 Available]

Jonathan Gardner jgardner at jonathangardner.net
Fri Aug 8 16:30:00 BST 2003

On Friday 08 August 2003 00:41, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> PyKDE-3.7-2 is available for download at:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pykde
>
> This release fixes the problems with uncommented 'virtual_hook'
> methods exposed in a few sip files which was causing errors on
> some platforms. If you've downloaded PyKDE-3.7-1, you can see my
> response for an easy fix for this problem that doesn't require
> another download.

Great work, Jim!

Now a message to all the subscribers of this list (except Phil):

As you know, Jim has put a lot of effort into PyKDE. It's growing to a point
where he can't handle it all on his own. We can't expect that Jim (and Phil)
will always be able to sacrifice his time and effort for us. After all, he is
giving this software away for free, and he has to feed his family just like
the rest of us.

The Free Software / Open Source development model suggests that when the core
developers can't handle the load, that the users who are able to assist
should do so. This is why Free Software projects like Linux, Python, and KDE
have been so successful. This is why Trolltech GPL'd Qt.

Here are some suggestions:

* Code. Do you know a little C++? Learn Python, Qt, KDE, and sip at the code
level. Help fix bugs in sip, PyQt, and PyKDE. When a new version of Python,
KDE, or Qt comes out, upgrade the sip files and send a patch to Jim or Phil.
Want a new feature? Implement it then send the patch to Jim or Phil.

* Test. Does it compile? Does it work on YOUR platform? If so, let us know. If
not, report the problems. Someone here will know how to fix it. When you get
it solved, let us know.

* Use. Write some code that uses PyKDE. Post your code to the list and share
your experiences. We can use these apps to further help in testing. We can
also use them to attract more users (and thus testers and developers, etc...)

* Write. If there is some part of the software that isn't written about,
explore it and tell us what you find. Read the current documentation and
submit grammatical corrections, clarifications, and fill in the blanks.

* Maintain packages. We need people who can help develop and distribute RPMs
and tarfiles for any and all platforms. Already, we have a great maintainer
for Debian. I am handling Red Hat, but only Red Hat 9 (Red Hat 8 and Red Hat
7.3 are still alive). There are two people working with SuSE, and one who has
done some work with Mandrake.

* Answer questions. About 1/3 of the questions on this list are something that
Jim or Phil have already answered. Why waste their time by reiterating the
answers? If you see a question that has already been asked, and Phil or Jim
hasn't already responded, post a response so they won't have to. Also, keep
an eye out for end user issues and try to help them find a solution.

In other words, let's move Phil and Jim away from the role of developer,
tester, and documentator, and into the role of maintainer and project leader.
They can be the head, and we will be the eyes, hands, and heart. Together, we
can keep up with the rapid pace of both Qt and KDE, and we can produce
something wonderful.

- --
Jonathan Gardner <jgardner at jonathangardner.net>
Live Free, Use Linux!