[PyKDE] PyKDE for sip 3.5 and 3.6

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Apr 17 19:58:01 BST 2003

On 17-Apr-03 Gerard Vermeulen wrote:
> I see people fight heroic fights with PyQt/sip snapshot releases
> (forced by PyQt-3.5 not being compatible with the latest Qt
> releases) and PyKDE-3.5.

Yep - especially given the compile times involved I really hate to
see that happen.

> Since the release date of Python-2.3 will be early (when
> extrapolating, late) June (see
> http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0283.html ), it makes
> maybe sense to do an intermediate 3.5.1 release: that means
> updated sip files, but still compatible with sip-3.5.

> I also suggest that build.py exits with an error message if it
> discovers a Qt version that post-dates the sip files (or at
> least a warning that things may not go as expected).

The problem is that in some cases, PyKDE will build against later
versions (eg PyKDE-3.3.2 will build against everything through sip
3.5 - it just lacks up-to-date KDE stuff) and in other cases it
won't (as PyKDE-3.5 won't work with sip 3.6).

I'm going to see if I can handle this somehow so it doesn't occur
again. The simplest solution is to provide snapshot releases like
Phil does - at the moment I don't find that feasible for PyKDE, but
down the road it should be. Otherwise, I need to do some work on
PyKDE's build.py and also on the PyKDE sip files.

If Phil releases in about 2 weeks (as he indicated in his reply to
you) PyKDE-3.6 should be ready shortly after and the problem (for
now) will disappear again. Still needs to be addressed though.

Jim