[PyKDE] ANNOUNCING PyQwt-sip34_20020807 - some problems on Win32

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 19 17:31:01 BST 2002

On Thursday 19 September 2002 3:52 pm, Kaleb Pederson wrote:

> I haven't yet had to worry about it, but how is a release typically done
> that uses PyQt?  To include the dll and a pyqt build makes them a developer
> so that won't work.

I don't know what Trolltech's position is on this, I can only guess from what
Trolltech have (or rather haven't) done in the past. My guess is that it is
the intent that is important and that selling an application with an explicit
documented method of getting at PyQt is one thing, but a user finding out
that they can (illegally) lift the covers is another.

The Trolltech license prevents you from giving your users access to Qt unless
they have paid for their own license. Trolltech's code does nothing to
enforce this. I assume, therefore, that the same method is acceptable when
applied between you and your users, ie. your EULA with them should state that
they are not allowed to lift the covers.

Having said that, if I could think of a way of implementing some sort of
protection then I would - suggestions on a postcard please. I'm also waiting
with interest to see what Trolltech are going to do with QSA.

Note that this hasn't anything to do with there being a commercial version of
PyQt. This has been the position for 4 years.

> In C++ I presume you would just statically compile the parts of qt that
> were necessary into your application?  Is there a way that you can
> statically compile the necessary parts of Qt into PyQt?  Even if that were
> so, it doesn't seem like that would stop them from using the parts that
> were compiled in should they install Python?

Trolltech don't require you to statically compile Qt - I believe you can ship
a DLL/shared library.