[PyKDE] ANNOUNCING PyQwt-sip34_20020807 - some problems on Win32

Peter Lipa porl3141 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 19 04:09:01 BST 2002

Hi Gerard,
Thanks for the updated release and your progress on PyCute - looks great
(after a few minutes of testing)!

Here is some feedback:
I built the win32 commercial Qt3.05 version
PyQwt-sip332_20020807-Qt-305.win32-py2.2.exe and corresponding .zip with no
problems at the
compile and packaging steps. (However I have runtime problems which I didn't
have with the previous version - see below).
I only had to uncomment the two lines:
            # is this true?
            qt_library_name = 'qt-mt305'
            extra_version = '-Qt-305'
in the pyqt_support.py (yes, you guesset trolltech's naming convetion
correctly on windows)

I am happy to send you the the binary PyQwt windows installer and zip builds
for the Qt3.0.5 commercial if you want to put them on your website.
For a binary-only release, according the the commercial qt license,  I see
no problem with sending you also the qt-mt305.dll (without the souce of
course) so you can run and test the commercial version of the  win32 PyQwt
package yourself.

Questions/Suggestions for the build scripts:
1) Could you make the qt_library_name and  extra_version  variables in the
first lines of the  setup.py (as you did with the python dir etc.)?
Just for having all in one place....
2) The setup setup.py bdist or python setup.py bdist_wininst don't put all
the new stuff (incluing PyCute.py !!) into the binary installer exe or zip
files.
So people downloading the binary installer don't get the benefit of your
latest and cutest work - PyCute!

Problems:
The last working version  (except PyQwt printing in the examples) on my dev
machine was Qt3.0.4, PyQt 3.3 and your
previous PyQwt version. Now I upgraded to Qt3.0.5, PyQt 3.3.2 (and
corresponding sip) and your current PyQwt-sip34_20020807. We don't have
the new commercial PyQt 3.4 yet (and wait till Qt 3.1 is released for the
next major upgrade cycle) so we are stuck for now with the latest
pre-commercial
PyQt 3.3.2 version.
At runtime, it appears that all examples that don't redraw the QCanvas (i.e.
the one with a draw-once static plot) have EMPTY canvases  (even after
resizing or minimizing). The axes, ticks and titels are all drawn, but the
drawing area within the axis is in plain background color with no curvers,
markers or gridlines.(
In the BodeDemo.py one can choose another Damping Factor and then the
interior gets redrawn and shows up fine on the sreen. The examples that get
never redrawn (SimpleDemo.py, plot.py and BodeDemo.py at first startup) have
empty axes interiors. Strangely, the CurveDemo1.py works fine (guess there
are no axes per se). In the cmd window I get  a sequence of messages :
QPainter::begin: Another QPainter is already painting this device;
        A paint device can only be painted by one QPainter at a time

 All this happens running with or without the PyCute shell!
I tried this on 2 independent machines and get the same behavior.
Do you have any idea what the problem might be ??
(I am sure I am linking to the correct Qt dll - have only one in my path;
all PyQt3.3.2 demos and example are working fine)!

Cheers,
Peter Lipa
porl3141 at hotmail.com