[PyKDE] How to do *INTERACTIVE* plotting with PyQt (or PyQwt)

Peter Lipa lipa at nsma.arizona.edu
Thu Sep 12 01:52:00 BST 2002

Thanks, Boudewijn, for your help and insight!
It looks like we converge to the one-and-only clean solution to run
a new command window from with a pyqt shell.

> Embedding one gui toolkit in
> another is always
> frought with danger... And tricky. Still, you _cannot_ do
> useful things with
> a plain python shell once you've started the QApplication's
> exec_loop --
> that's a fact of life, so you _must_ approach the problem
> from another angle.

That's exaclty what I've been trying to do - use the plain shell - and
failed.
Thanks for putting it in clear words. I think the embedding with MFC is not
a big problem since the MFC and python shell are very clearly separated (we
essentially
run a windows console with python inside the MFC GUI).

> > Jonathan Gardner suggested using sockets for communication
> between the
> > threads - something I haven't tried yet, but I doubt that
> it would solve
> > the threading problem. However, I still have to think about
> that some
> > more....
>
> I'd advise against that solution, also against any solution
> that involves two
> processes and redirected stdin/stdout as comm channel. Been
> there, failed
> that.

Thanks for your insight here. I might have tried such an alternate approach
for a few days (or longer?). That saves me some valuable time.

I think we can mangage from here.
Thanks a lot!

Cheers
Peter Lipa